NEXT REGULAR CITY ELECTION
- Tuesday, April 14, 2020.
- If a Runoff Election is required it will be held on Tuesday, May 5, 2020.
- Terms of office for elected members will begin Tuesday, May 19, 2020.
- Offices to be filled include those where current terms expire in 2020: At-Large Council Member, Southwest District Council Member, Northwest District Council Member, and Northeast District Council Member.
- For more information, contact the City Election Official:
Thomas M. Greco, City Clerk
Carnegie Town Hall
235 West 10th St
Sioux Falls, SD 57104
QUALIFICATIONS & TERMS OF OFFICE
- Only the registered voters of the city who have resided in the city for at least six (6) months immediately prior to the date of election shall be eligible to hold the office of council member or mayor (City Charter Section 2.02). Candidates for District seats must reside within the district (City Charter Section 6.01).
- The terms of council members shall be four (4) years beginning no later than whichever day the City Council meets during the third week of May following the official canvass of any final council or mayoral election, whichever is later, and shall continue until a successor has been elected and takes office. No council member may serve more than two (2) full or partial terms consecutively, unless a partial term was for 50 percent or less of the full term then the council member may serve an additional two full terms; however, a council member may immediately thereafter be eligible to be a candidate for mayor. The two consecutive term limit shall apply regardless of whether a council member has served as a district or an at large council member or both. (City Charter Section 2.02)