Mercury Thermometer Exchange

Mercury Thermometer Exchange Program

It’s time to take your temp a better way! Exchange your old mercury thermometer for a new free digital thermometer.

How the Program Works:

  • The Household Hazardous Waste Facility will only take mercury-containing thermometers. Blue or red colored liquid thermometers do not contain mercury, and can disposed of with your regular garbage.
  • Double bag your mercury-containing thermometer in resealable bags and place in a plastic container to protect it during transport in your vehicle.
  • The Household Hazardous Waste Facility is located roughly half of a mile north of the intersection of Rice and Cliff St. at 1015 E. Chambers Street, Sioux Falls, SD 57104

The Mercury Problem:

Mercury is a toxic liquid metal which poses a threat to the health of humans and the natural environment. Children are especially vulnerable to the hazards associated with mercury through inhalation, ingestion, and absorption.

Mercury in broken thermometers may eventually be discharged to the wastewater treatment plant where it can be toxic to microbes used in the treatment processor potentially pass through the treatment plant into the Big Sioux River, effecting wildlife and plants.

If you have further questions regarding proper procedures for disposing of mercury, please contact the City of Sioux Falls Environmental Division at (605)-367-8276.